You’ve probably thought of fasting and prayer which is why you are searching.
Prayer on its own can be easy…
But to couple it with Fasting? It isn’t easy at all but the reward is great ! Acts 9
11 Reasons why fasting and prayer is important
So the greatest teacher once said some things will not happen except by prayer and fasting. Here’s why it’s important to fast and pray:
- Your soul becomes humble (a great virtue)
- Therefore, you’ll easily connect with God
- It will revive your spirit
- Your selfishness is suppressed.
- Anxieties will diminish
- Mental clarity will increase
- Stubborn problems will be solved.
- Tough times in life’s journey will be easier
- You’ll gain heightened awareness
- Your overall health rebounds (soul and body)
- The reasons are endless…
Why does Fasting and prayer work:
Several examples ahead have probed that it works. It works because:
Why is fasting and prayer so powerful:
The reason for its powerful effect is :
- Because it’s a sacrifice.
As you progress from 1 day fast to 7 days to 21 days fast your sacrifice increases. The greater the sacrifice, the greater the reward. You’ll notice Jesus went as long as 40days to begin his life’s purpose and went on to end his ministry by laying down his life.As soon as you give your life, you’ve offered the ultimate sacrifice.Giving is the greatest sacrifice!II Kings 3:26-27:
As you fast, your concentration is bolstered and focus is multiplied. When this is combined with prayer, it becomes effective and powerful. Your prayer becomes fervent as your thoughts and energies are totally devoted in prayer. As it is said that the effectual fervent prayer of the rigtheous availeth much.
How long should I fast?
The length of a fast can be determined first with common & acquired sense and second by the leading of the holy spirit.
By Common/acquired sense, i just mean you have to understand the basics of human biology and that the body cannot stay long without food and water !
- The maximum is 3 days without food and water.
Some call this the absolute fast.
Exceeding 3 days without water and food is not common and people have died going beyond this limit
It’s simply dangerous!
Even though it’s feasible, I’d do not encourage this type of fast because water remains the most important thing for human life.
By acquired sense, you will learn how to break a fast.
Mastering how to climb a mountain requires skill and descending also requires the same sort of skill.
That’s the case with fasting.
Coming out of a fast must be done with skill.
You will have to acquire this skill by reading other books (professional experience) and also listening to your body.
Again, not to scare, but people have died breaking or coming out of a fast the wrong way!.
- With water taken regularly, the maximum is 40 days.
Dr. Michael Peel gathered this and not more than 40 days the longest people could survive in his studies linked here.
So if you must fast, fast no more than 40days making sure you stay hydrated.
Types of Fasting?
I’ll classify types of fasting into three types depending on the diet involved:
- Absolute Fast
You’ll not eat any food or drink water for 3 days.I described this a bit earlier. In scriptures, Esther (Esther 4:16) is an example. Saul is a 2nd (Acts 9:9)
- Water Fast
You’ll only drink water every for a certain length of days you choose. It’s possible to go the length of 40days.
- Partial Fast
You’ll take real food at the end of the fast each day. The fast starts when you wake up and then you break the fast at lunch or dinner time.
- Daniel Fast
You’ll take fruits or vegetables every day for the length of days you choose. It’s possible to go the full length of 21 days as Daniel did.
- Level 1: 1 to 3 Days Fasting
- Level 2: 3 to 21 Days Fasting
- Level 3: 21 to 40 Days Fasting When you start thinking of entering this level, you are probably looking for something greater! You’ve been inspired by Jesus, prompted by the holy spirit that you should do this for a greater calling. It is not for everybody, for this level requires much faith to enter.Moses, Jesus, Elijah, are the prominent examples in scripture.And they were all prophets…
Note: This article is still in progress.